Saturday, March 30, 2013

BLOG TASK 3




REFLECTION ON TPI SCORE


In the TPI result sheet; there are five important perspectives that an effective teacher should have.  According to the TPI result, my average performance was 36.2, and this varies 1.2 points in different perspectives.  The highest perspective score was 38, and the least was 35. By seen my sub-scores, I noticed that, there was no much differences among the bars of different perspectives except in Apprenticeship. In Apprenticeship, there was a five point gap between believes and intentions.   
    
Transmission: Effective teaching requires a substantial commitment to the content or subject matter. It means the teacher should have enough knowledge on the subject or the content.  In my TPI score, I got 35 points in this perspective. It was below the range of my overall score. In this, I noticed, I should improve my content knowledge, providing clear objectives, making efficient use of class time, providing timely feedback etc in my teaching. 

Apprenticeship:  Effective teaching is a process of socializing students into new behavioral norms and ways of working. For this perspective, I got 36 points. It means I was within the boundary of perspectives. So, I believed I have some skills of classroom teaching. And also I believed, I am following the zone of proximal development. It means I am helping according to the student’s levels of understanding.  

Developmental:  Effective teaching must be planned and conducted from the learner’s point of view. I score 37 points in this perspective. This score is also fit into the given range of points.  So, I have the ability to understand how students think about the content, and able to help students to increase complexity of cognitive structure.  Moreover, the questioning methods that I use in my classes are helpful to increase their level of thinking. 


Nurturing: Effective teaching assumes that long-term, hard, persistent effort to achieve comes from the heart, not the head. This was the highest score of my result. And this was the dominant perspective of my result. I believe my attitude towards the subject and the students were good. And also I believed my motivation techniques are also helpful to the students. 


Social Reform: Effective teaching seeks to change society in substantive ways. This gives the least sore in my result. So, I have to improve this perspective in my future. It includes, advocating students role in social reform and can create chances to the students to participate in social activities 


Before concluding this, I can say, this TPI score gives the real picture of myself on teaching. And it also helps me to change my teaching philosophy. Overall I can say this is a good tool that the teachers can be more familiar. And it helps them to check their perspectives toward teaching and learning process.   

No comments:

Post a Comment